When it comes to outsourcing your open source development, there are a lot of different elements to consider in order to avoid common pitfalls. But there are some fantastic benefits to outsourcing your dev tem. The basic open source service models can help to offer a range of solutions for businesses of all sizes, and the Fortune 100 are increasingly dependent on distributed talent. Here are some of our thoughts on outsourcing your open source development in the future.
Open Source Technologies
If you are outsourcing your open source development, there are a number of technologies that may be of interest. A few of the available technologies being used by large organisations include:
- Liferay for portal development (designed to unify the customer journey, enhance customer experiences and modernise business operation through one single platform for corporate extranet and intranet)
- Mulesoft Anypoint Platform (streamlined network that uses APIs to connect your company’s applications, data, and devices)
- Magento (an award winning e-commerce product and a leading choice for SMEs, known as the most flexible and most powerful ecommerce platform in the world)
- Salesforce (CRM software with automation checkout)
Another technology worth mentioning is Servicenow for IT service management, a tool that is changing the face of IT self-service for IT support. This open source software platform consolidates on‑premises IT tools to a modern, easy‑to‑use service management solution in the cloud, with no infrastructure required. Saving businesses time, resource and money – as well as office space. Some of the companies using Servicenow include Bank of Ireland, NHS, BUPA, Siemens, KPMG and Pret A Manger.
Why Outsource to a Vendor?
There are many benefits to outsourcing, the first and most obvious reason being cost savings. An open source development contract can be cost effective in the long run. And with a smaller initial outlay than in-house development and investments in Human Resources, outsourcing is the best way of looking after business cash flow. Other advantages to outsourced open source development are:
- Access to the best talent – open source development projects can require a wide mix of skills at differing times throughout a project lifecycle, and a vendor can provide access to this.
- Minimise costs of hiring – recruitment can be a very expensive and lengthy process. Outsourcing a dev team can save you time and money whilst also providing flexibility when resourcing a project with varied resources.
- Flexible contracts – although contracts can be binding, you still have more flexibility than an in-house hire.
- Improved project delivery time – with access to the right skillsets, there should be fewer roadblocks on your route to launch.
If you would like more information around outsourcing your opensource software development or support, please do get in touch with Brite Advice www.briteadvice.co.uk.